PW Itch Support Gold
A drug-free alternative to relieve itchy skin due to allergies.
What can you expect from this product?
- Supports a healthy immune response to allergens
- Helps the root cause and the symptoms
- Safe for long-term use, as needed
What is Itch Support Gold?
Use this product for hot spots, itching, scratching and itchy paws caused by a known or unknown allergy.
Itch Support Gold is a combination of nine herbal ingredients for skin-related symptoms when canines come into contact with an allergen* (a substance that triggers an allergic reaction). For some dogs, skin allergies are a constant condition, and for others it may be seasonal or occasional. Skin conditions due to allergies are an increasingly common disorder in canines and are one of the most frequent causes for visits to the veterinarian.
Itch Support Gold is a drug-free alternative that addresses the physiological mechanisms that cause the skin (including on the paws) to become uncomfortable, red, and sometimes unbearably itchy. This formulation works with the principles of Traditional Chinese Medicine to target the underlying imbalance and restore health from the inside out. It works without the harmful side effects commonly associated with long-term use of prescription medications.
*Itch Support Gold is not for acute or severe allergic reactions. If your dog requires immediate or emergency medical attention, please call your veterinarian or nearest veterinary clinic.
Itch Support Gold does not address emergency allergy situations such as anaphylaxis.
What is Itch Support Gold used for?
Just as people can experience allergic reactions of all kinds, canines are also susceptible to irritants and allergens they encounter in their environment or in their diet. Some dog breeds have a greater incidence of allergies that can affect their skin, which may decrease with age.
For canines, the primary way an allergy manifests is through the skin. Flare-ups are often chronic and/or recurring, and despite many efforts, become a condition that must be managed. Finding out the cause of the allergy can be a long but necessary process.
The allergen (the substance that induces the allergy) is introduced into the body in one of four ways:
- It may be something your dog has come into physical contact with
- It may be in your dog's diet
- It may be something that has been inhaled (airborne)
- It may be from a flea bite (usually from flea saliva)
If the body is sensitized to that particular allergen, it will react as if it is under attack and an allergic reaction will ensue.
Naturally, the most beneficial approach is to remove the allergen or limit exposure if the allergen is known; however, there may be cases in which this is difficult (such as with a pollen allergy).
Allergies that affect the skin may appear as:
- Increased and sometimes incessant itching and scratching and/or licking
- Moist skin, dry/flakey skin or scabbing
- Itchy ears (and possible ear infections)
- Swollen and itchy paws
The itching may be all over the body or localized in one area. Your dog's behavior may also change, since a constant state of itchy discomfort can quickly lead to irritability, disrupted sleep, exhaustion and snapping. If repeated scratching causes the skin to break, this can create an opportunity for an infection.
Rather than mask or temporarily suppress the symptoms, Itch Support Gold helps to support a healthy immune response to allergens. The herbal combination also works synergistically to decrease itchiness, whether it is pervasive or only in certain areas. In Traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM) the name for this type of treatment is termed an External Wind formula. The element of "wind" can refer to symptoms that appear suddenly, change quickly and affect the surface (like the skin).
Most dogs will not react to the compounds they encounter in the home or outdoors, so what can cause skin allergies or sensitivities? For dogs that have a sensitive immune system, the most common allergens are environmental allergens (contact allergy or atopy), food allergens, flea allergy or a secondary reaction from another health issue.
Examples of Common Allergens:
- Pollens and grasses
- Dust, dust mites and molds
- Fragrances and other chemicals including those found in most laundry detergents, dog shampoos and household cleaners
- Cigarette smoke
- Prescription medication (including flea medication or medicated flea products)
- Insect bites (including fleas)
- Dander and feathers (may be in pillows, duvets or bedspreads)
- Foods such as dairy products, beef products, soy, wheat, corn, chicken and chicken by-products
- Foods or treats containing food coloring
Itch Support is Formulated With:
- Dong Quai root (Angelica sinensis): An herb of Eastern Asia, this root is used widely in China for health and as a food. One of its uses is to help carry oxygen to tissues and support normal blood flow. It is used in China for supporting normal responses to allergic episodes. The effects of Dong Quai may be due to its inhibitions of thromboxane A2 formation and prostaglandin E2 production.
- Tribulus fruit (Tribulus terrestris): Taken orally in combination with nine other herbs (Zemaphyte) it has been shown to help maintain skin issues.
- Rehmannia root (Rehmannia glutinosa): This steamed root is a vital herb used widely in the traditional Chinese herbal repertory and contain vitamins C, A and some B vitamins. It is best known for its "tonic" properties to fortify the blood, increase vitality and support capillary integrity. It is used here to stabilize Yin and fortify and move the blood.
- Chinese Peony root (Paeonia lactiflora): This root has a normalizing effect on allergies, particularly on certain skin allergies.
- Schizonepeta aerial parts (Nepeta tenuifolia): Schizonepeta has superoxide scavenging activity, which might explain its common use for itchy skin issues. It is thought to exert an effect by reducing histamine release and inhibit substance-P-induced itching in animals.
- Siler root (Saposhnikovia divaricata): Good for liver Qi stagnation, common when itchy skin needs support. It also helps the body's natural mechanisms of flushing toxins for excretion.
- Ligusticum root (Ligusticum wallichii): Similar to North American Osha and Lovage. It has properties to support the body's normal defences from viral and microbial infections. Osha has also been used by Native American and Hispanic cultures for seasonal allergies.
- Astragalus root (Astragalus membranaceus): One of the best known "adaptogens", Astragalus is a replenishing herb for normal recovery from illness. It protects against free radicals and is widely used for immune health.
- Licorice root (Glycyrrhiza uralensis): This root is used to harmonize the formula and allows herbal synergy of all the ingredients.
Herbs are certified organic or selectively imported.
Herbs that are selectively imported are from trusted growers and tested for purity.
Itch Support Gold provides support and maintenance for allergies that affect your dog's skin and the itchy, red, dry or moist unpleasant symptoms that result from allergic responses.
Allergic responses may also cause respiratory-related symptoms such as:
- Runny, itchy nose
- Breathing difficulties due to an airborne allergy
For respiratory-type symptoms related to allergies, you can also try Nettle-Eyebright Gold.